Review: I was sent the peanut butter to review. I said exactly what I thought and I wasn't paid to review it ... trust me, I'm a triathlete.
Peanut butter is peanut butter. You can have it sweetened or unsweetened, crunchy or smooth. That’s pretty much it. ISn’t it?
Then I was asked if I wanted to try some of the Doctor Zak’s. I wasn’t too bothered ... peanut butter is peanut butter. Apart from finding new hand-to-mouth-receptacles to put it on, there’s not much more to comment on than the crunchy/smooth, sweet/not-sweet choices. Right?
Nope. Now Doctor Zaks have added a new twist. Flavours to the peanut butters ...
*Drools all over self*
I chose White Chocolate & Coconut and Salted Caramel to try.
Yep. They’re that good. I like peanut butter, it makes eating a banana more interesting and I have an amazing white fish, coconut milk, peanut butter combination that I cook up regularly but it wasn’t not my go-to food after a run. But now it is.
I really like this. I’m quite picky about my food but this is a product I’ll definitely be buying again.
- The peanut butter contains 36g of protein per 100g (tuna contains 23.5g per 100g) and uses partially-hydrolysed whey protein isolate which means your body absorbs this faster.
- It gives me a sweet kick after a run for relatively few calories (and low in sugar at 1.6g per serving) and it’s satisfying. This is a big thing for me as I’m more than capable of clearing the fridge after a long session ‘as a snack’ and then having a ‘proper’ meal afterwards. And it’s easy to stick on a rice cake and scoff.
- Simple ingredients list. Not as simple as the MyProtein peanut butter I like but all things that I’ve heard of.
- Free from palm oil & artificial sweeteners & Vegetarian Society approved. It’s sweetened with fruit extracts and is also low in salt.
Not So Good Points:
- Genuinely unable to choose between the two flavours so end up with a half-and-half rice cake or two.
- It’s expensive at £6.99 for a 450g jar compared to off-the-shelf peanut butters, but cheap compared to a sack of protein powder.
- The flavours have different consistencies, one is a lot runnier than the other but this isn’t really a problem, more an observation. Make sure you stir the butter before using it as it does tend to settle.
- The ingredients list doesn’t give much information about the flavourings, it just says ‘White Chocolate and Coconut Flavour’.
Other Flavours Available:
Apple & Cinnamon
Fancy a try? Get it from Muscle Food.