- Nothing beats local knowledge. Recce-ing the bike course and chatting to the marshals beforehand can give you some really good inside information. Even if it’s just ‘DON’T use the portaloo 3rd from the end.”
- Weeing in your wetsuit really does warm you up.
|I'm in this picture somewhere. Concentrating.|
- I can’t wee in my wetsuit if I’m moving. Avoid me if I look like I’m concentrating.
- Cracking the bike was all about practising. And practising. And practising. Even if it feels like I’m getting nowhere (If I’m on the turbo I probably AM getting nowhere) then keep at it. It’ll come.
|Always know where the photographers are so you can avoid looking like THIS|
- I still haven’t cracked the swim. I’m very definitely backpack and need to sort this out.
- Open water swim starts are like WWE smackdowns. But with actual punching in the face. And no rules.
- Doesn’t matter how much I practise running off the bike I will always spend the first mile stumping along like a pirate with 2 pegs. I haven’t had a brown accident (well ... almost never). It’s just how I run the first mile off the bike.
- My arse will always hurt no matter how long or short the bike ride. Apparently it will toughen up but I’m not sure I want a ‘tough arse’.
|My wetsuit pics are ALWAYS horrible.|
- Swimming in a lake feels cleaner than swimming pool despite the fact I KNOW that ducks do not get out to poo and fish do not get out to die.
- It doesn’t matter how much lube you use. It is never enough.
- Portaloos at triathlon starts are even worse than at running race starts. But not as bad as ‘halfway through ultra’ loos.
- Always take a hole punch to a race.
- I mustn’t be intimidated by all the posh bikes. At least 25% will be ‘borrowed from a mate’.
- Someone will always be DQd for nudity at a race.
- It is IMPOSSIBLE to carry your bike quietly through hotel corridors at 5am before the start of a race.